How to get management buy-in for your digital vision
Don’t despair. You’re not alone. This is a common situation in many organisations.
The good news is that with persistence and a proper plan you can present a persuasive argument to your senior management team.
The pay-off for being successful is digital transformation for your organisation (and a career boost for yourself).
Here are our ten tips to achieve senior management or board buy-in.
- Study and understand the strategic aims of your organisation. Senior personnel will be working towards these aims. Your chance of success is much greater if you can align your vision to the short and long term goals of your organisation.
- Do your homework on the senior team. Find out their leadership styles and motivators then tap into these.
- Get a senior sponsor. Getting a respected figure to champion your proposal will bring instant credibility.
- Prepare a persuasive, compelling and detailed case for your project. You should also have an elevator pitch. This should be a no longer that 30 seconds and include what you want to do and why.
- Talk plain English, not jargon.
- Focus on benefits, not features. Senior management figures are not interested in technical specifications but they will be interested in what the project can do for the business.
- Talk about value, not cost. Make sure to qualify the return on investment.
- Identify any potential risks and how to deal with them. The chances are if you don’t point out the risks someone else will
- Illustrate your points with examples. Demonstrate about how your vision will place you ahead of your competitors
- Break your plan down into bite size chunks. Focus on areas where you can achieve early wins or a quick return on investment. This success will make senior management more likely to buy into your overall strategy